On Wednesday, August 26 The Rapid Board of Directors approved a change in fare structure that will go into effect on October 1, 2015. This decision came after gathering feedback through public hearings, as well as input mailed, emailed, and posted on social media. The Rapid’s Planning Department then reviewed public comments, The Rapid’s Fare Policy, conducted a fare equity analysis, and presented all findings to the Board for consideration.
This is the first increase in fares since 2008, and in the years since then the cost of business has risen. In that time, we have also asked voters to increase the amount of property taxes they contribute to the system, and they’ve agreed to do so four times in 15 years. It is important that our fare structure is keeping pace with the services we provide.
The Rapid has three primary funding sources: local property tax millage revenues, state operating reimbursement, and fares. Over the past several years, the percentage of revenues that the first two items cover in our budget has gone down. We have been looking at the expense side to do what we can to control costs, including changing our employee health plan and are moving toward the use of compressed natural gas (CNG) buses to save fuel costs over the long term, but there is still a gap between our revenues and expenses.
The following fare changes will begin on Thursday, October 1, 2015:
- Cash fares will change from $1.50 to $1.75
- Reduced fare cash will change from $0.75 to $0.85
- Adult 10-ride ticket will change from $11.50 to $13.50
- Student 10-ride ticket will change from $9.00 to $10.50
- Senior/persons with disabilities 10-ride ticket will change from $7.50 to $8.50
- One-day pass will change from $3.00 to $3.50
- Seven-day pass will change from $14.00 to $16.00
- Regular 31-day pass will change from $40.00 to $47.00
- Reduced 31-day pass will change from $26.00 to $30.00
- GO!Bus one-way trip will change from $3.00 to $3.50
- GO!Bus (non-disabled senior) one way trip will change from $7.00 to $8.00
- PASS one-way trip will change from $3.00 to $3.50
Thank you to all that provided feedback through this process and look forward to your continued ridership.