Posted in News on

Downtown Grand Rapids celebrates Small Business Saturday with #ShopSmallGR

Shop Small in Downtown GR

The holiday season is upon us. And if you’re like us, you probably have a holiday shopping list that needs to be tackled. Once Black Friday is over, the real fun begins. Who’s ready to shop at your local favorites on Small Business Saturday?

Small Business Saturday takes place on November 26, 2016, and is a day dedicated to supporting small businesses throughout the country. Founded by American Express in in 2010, holiday shoppers are encouraged to celebrate this day each year on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Last year 95 million shopped at a local business on this day.

This year, Grand Rapids Opportunities for Women (GROW), Avenue for the Arts, and Downtown Grand Rapids Inc., The Pop Up Shop GR, and Monroe Mall businesses will be partnering to celebrate Small Business Saturday. Ride The Rapid to downtown Grand Rapids to the Division and Monroe corridor for#ShopSmallGRm, which features nearly 40 small businesses and pop-up vendors. This event takes place from 11:00am-4:00pm on Saturday, Nov. 26.

After you shop until you drop, take a break and grab some coffee or a bite to eat at one of downtown Grand Rapids’ local cafes and eateries.  Turn this Small Business Saturday into a day of local exploration by riding The Rapid. All you’ll need is a bus pass, reusable shopping bags, and a friend.

Here are some #ShopSmallGR participating businesses we know you’ll love:

Dime & Regal

209 S. Division Ave #105
#ShopSmallGR hours 11:00-4:00pm
Scarves, jewelry, home goods–oh my! This shop specializes in handcrafted goods from local artists at affordable prices.

Gina’s Boutique

40 Monroe Center
#ShopSmallGR hours 10:00-6:00pm
Visit this shop to find women’s clothing and accessories.

#ShopSmallGR hours 10:00-6:00pm

East Meets West Pop-Up Thrift Shop

209 Division Ave. South
#ShopSmallGR hours 11:00-4:00pm

Feeling thrifty? Visit this pop-up vendor to find new and gently use women’s clothing and accessories in sizes 0-24.

The Artist’s Studio

40 Monroe Center
#ShopSmallGR hours 11:00-6:00pm

Discover original art, gift-size framed prints, cards, and limited edition giclee prints. All art by Rose Ellis and Jim Starkey. Don’t miss the #ShopSmallGR promotion – 10% off everything in the studio/gallery!

Heartside Gallery and Studio

48 Division Ave. South
#ShopSmallGR hours 11:00-5:00pm
This program of Heartside Ministry features artwork in a variety of media created by artists living in the Heartside area, often experiencing homelessness or financial distress. Artists receive 74 percent of the proceeds from sales, while the other 26% helps cover the cost of art supplies and taxes.

Apothecary Off Main

40 Monroe Center
#ShopSmallGR hours 10:00-6:00pm
This shop specializes in selling personal, home care products, remedies, and gourmet spices. They even had an entire section of their business dedicate to men’s grooming products. #ShopSmallGR promotion: Spend $100 and receive $10 off your next order. Look for savings on gift sets.

Humanity Boutique

40 Monroe Center
#ShopSmallGR hours 10:00-6:00pm
This style-packed boutique carries a wide variety of  modern, trendy and high-quality women’s clothing and accessories. Humanity Boutique partners with local and global organizations to help those who have been victims of abuse. #ShopSmallGR promotion: look for 25% off all fall styles, $29 premium leggings (reg. $48), $10 and under gifts for her, and a FREE gift with purchase.

Light Gallery + Studio

317 Division Ave. South
#ShopSmallGR hours 11:00-8:00pm

This unique space offers local Grand Rapids artists and makers a chance to display and sell work. The gallery features an array of goods from jewelry, candles, textiles, ceramics, and furniture which is all made by local artists.

There’s many other participating businesses and pop-up vendors to check out.

Written by The Rapid

The Rapid (Interurban Transit Partnership) is the authority that provides a variety of public transportation services for the Grand Rapids metro area and beyond. It is organized and operates under Michigan Public Act 196 of 1986.